Monday, October 5, 2009

Media Literacy - 10/6 Homework

As a science teacher I found very little information, images or lesson plans appropriate for my class. It is amazing that there is such a wide range of materials but I was diappointed that I didn't find much I could use. I searched under the topics of evolution, stem cells and endangered species hoping to find something, but I was unsuccessful. The video mentioned works from Galileo but when I searched in the teacher section I didn't get anything of use. There is information on inventions but that doesn't really work for biology or physiology. I also found a section called everyday mysteries on the main teacher page that seems to be science related . I was thinking I might be able to use that in some way. I am also a teacher coach at our school so I was thinking about telling the English and Social Science teachers about the website. I wonder if they have used it before...

7 comments:

  1. I checked out other people's experiences as well. Luisa, Julia, Qi and Lynn all had interesting posts. We have a great class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen,

    Sorry to hear that you didn't find material that is appropriate for your class. Perhaps, Kathleen will help us with "search language" in future class sessions.

    I hope that you pass on the LOC information to your English and Social Science teachers. The primary source analysis guides are great tools for teachers and students to use in the classroom. Even if your teachers have limited access to technology, they can go to the website and print out these guides to use in class. There is a ton of information out there for history teachers. I think the key to success is learning how to be an effective "searcher!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen,
    I am with Andrea. Perhaps we can get more info on how to search this website. My main frustration was that I could not get my real time player to work and therefore did not get to watch some of the videos. However, I was able to watch the introductory video so wonder why the others did not work for me.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it seems that we are all having a hard time finding what we are looking for. But I deffinitely think that there is a lot of useful information. Like Andrea said I think it would be useful to show the introductory video to our students so they know the difference between primary and secondary sources.
    Luisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I don't teach science I wasn't looking at the science information; but there has to be something in there for science teachers. You were right though; there is a lot of information for English and Social Studies teachers. Pass on the Book Festival information to Helen for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ho Colleen, I didn't find much in the area of science also at least not for the subject area's I teach. I agree with you that there is a lot for other subject areas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah the joys of search and relevance - let's talk more about this in class.

    ReplyDelete